An Overview of Florida Standards: Preparing Florida students for College, Career, and Life
- In February 2014, the state Board of Education approved the revised elements of the Common Core State Standards, renaming them the Florida Standards. These revisions were based on suggestions from the public. The key changes are as follows:
- English/Language Arts
- 13 clarifications
- Addition of cursive writing to 4th and 5th grade standards
- 24 clarifications
- 2 deleted standards in kindergarten and first grade
- 60 new standards, including 53 for calculus at the high school level
- English/Language Arts
- In March 2014, the state chose American Institutes for Research to develop the assessment that will replace FCAT 2.0. The new assessment will test the Florida Standards.
- The Florida Standards are intended to ensure that students graduate from high school ready to pursue advanced education or training.
- The Florida Standards include a significant focus on developing deep knowledge, conceptual understanding, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- The Florida Standards improve not only what students learn, but also how they learn by teaching critical-thinking, problem solving, and effective communication skills.
- The Florida Standards are relevant to the real world and reflect the academic knowledge and skills our students need to be successful in college and careers.
- The Florida Standards and assessments place more emphasis on real learning and understanding of materials, not just basic memorization and test-taking skills.
- The Florida Standards help prepare our students today with the knowledge and skills they will need to thrive in a world of tomorrow.
- The Florida Standards give teachers more time to go in depth in their subjects and provide clear and consistent learning targets.
- The Florida Standards and assessments provide the framework for what students learn but do not prescribe a curriculum, textbook, or instructional materials; instead, these decisions are made at the local level.
- The implementation of the Florida Standards is an important step to improve education in Florida. These Standards are one part of the larger solution and are important in providing the necessary foundation for building college and career readiness for all Florida students.
- The Florida Standards are an important step in building a stronger workforce in Florida. They will help fuel innovation and strengthen the state’s economy.
- The Florida Standards respond directly to the request from business leaders to have students be better prepared for the jobs of the future.
|Florida Mathematics Standards|
|CPalms- Standards Resources|
|Teacher Channel Lesson Videos|